Socialist Party (Portugal)
The Socialist Party is a social-democratic political party in Portugal. It was founded in-exile on 19 April 1973 in the German city of Bad Münstereifel by members from the Portuguese Socialist Action during the Estado Novo era. Partido Socialista is a member of the Socialist International and Progressive Alliance. It is also a member of Party of European Socialists regionally in Europe. It has nine members in the European Parliament within the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats group during the 9th European Parliament.
|Founded||19 April 1973|
|Legalized||1 February 1975|
|Preceded by||Acção Socialista Portuguesa|
|Headquarters||Largo do Rato 2, 1269–143 Lisbon|
|Student wing||Estudantes Socialistas|
|Women's wing||National Department of the Socialist Women|
"Socialism in Freedom"
|Assembly of the Republic|
108 / 230
9 / 21
The part is considered centre-left and is one of the two major parties in Portuguese politics, its rival being the Social Democratic Party (PSD) on the centre-right. The leader of the PS is António Costa, the current Prime Minister of Portugal. The party has 108 of 230 seats in the Portuguese parliament following the October 2019 election, forming a minority government.
- "Partidos registados e suas denominações, siglas e símbolos". Constitutional Court of Portugal (in Portuguese). Retrieved 31 July 2021.
- São José, Almeida (28 August 2021). "Quem são e onde estão os militantes do PS: 44,4% estão nas zonas do Porto, Braga e Lisboa". Público. Retrieved 28 August 2021.
- "Os hinos que se cantavam nas primeiras eleições".
- Nordsieck, Wolfram (2019). "Portugal". Parties and Elections in Europe. Retrieved 8 October 2019.
- Dimitri Almeida (2012). The Impact of European Integration on Political Parties: Beyond the Permissive Consensus. CRC Press. p. 71. ISBN 978-1-136-34039-0. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- Guedes, Nuno (2016). "Esquerda-direita: análise das posições ideológicas do PS e do PSD (1990-2010)". Sociologia, Problemas e Práticas (80): 95–116.
- Lisi, Marco; Freire, André (2014). "The selection of political party leaders in Portugal". In Jean-Benoit Pilet; William Cross (eds.). The Selection of Political Party Leaders in Contemporary Parliamentary Democracies: A Comparative Study. Routledge. p. 124. ISBN 978-1-317-92945-1.