St. Mary's Food Bank Alliance
St. Mary's Food Bank Alliance is a nonprofit, nonsectarian organization in Phoenix, Arizona. It was founded in 1967 by John van Hengel. St. Mary's was the first modern organization to operate using the food bank model. This spread throughout the U.S and the rest of the world. Today, St. Mary's is known as the world's first food bank.
|2831 N. 31st Avenue
St. Mary's also operates its own food pantry. It allows people to get food directly from the warehouse.
Partnerships and Support change
Companies and organizations that have partnered with St. Mary's include:
The organization also offers specialized programs apart from food banking. It includes after-school programs for children and career training for adults.
Community involvement change
St. Mary's depends on involvement from people within the community to continue operating. Some of the ways that people have involved include:
- Volunteering in the warehouse
- Starting a food drive or fund drive to supply the food bank
- Creating partnerships with new organizations
- Attending and working at special events
- Monetary donations
- Advocating for policy change and spreading awareness of hunger in Arizona
- https://www.feedingknowledge.net/02-search?p_p_id=1_WAR_feeding_knowledgeportlet&p_p_lifecycle=2&p_p_state=maximized&p_p_mode=view&p_p_cacheability=cacheLevelPage&_1_WAR_feeding_knowledgeportlet_cmd=serveAttachment&_1_WAR_feeding_knowledgeportlet_stepAttachmentId=9107&_1_WAR_feeding_knowledgeportlet_callId=6204&_1_WAR_feeding_knowledgeportlet_mvcPath=%2Fcalls%2Fview_all_steps.jsp&_1_WAR_feeding_knowledgeportlet_languageId=en_GB[permanent dead link]
- "John van Hengel, 83; Set up 1st Food Bank". Los Angeles Times. 9 October 2005.