Stresa–Mottarone cable car crash
The Stresa–Mottarone cable car crash was an accident that happened on 23 May 2021, The accident took place between the Italian commune of Stresa and the top of Mottarone. An aerial tram on the Stresa–Alpino–Mottarone Cable Car crashed to the ground after a cable broke about 100 meters (300 ft) from the summit of Mottarone, a mountain in northwest Italy near Lake Maggiore in Piedmont, . The crash killed fourteen people n the cable car. One child was seriously injured.
The cable car was traveling on a line connecting the town of Stresa with the summit of Mottarone when it crashed into a wooded area. The incident was deadliest cable car disaster in Italy since the 1998 Cavalese cable car disaster.
- "Incidente alla funivia Stresa-Mottarone, caduta una cabina: sono salite a 13 le vittime". La Stampa. Archived from the original on 17 October 2021. Retrieved 23 May 2021.
- "Cable Car Accident in Italy Kills 14 People | May 24, 2021". The Daily NewsBrief. 2021-05-24. Retrieved 2021-05-24.
- "Italy cable car fall: At least 13 dead after accident near Lake Maggiore". BBC News. 2021-05-23. Retrieved 2021-05-23.
- "Italian cable car crash kills at least 13, injures three". Reuters. 2021-05-23. Retrieved 2021-05-23.
- Nadeau, Barbie Latza; Ruotolo, Nicola. "At least 12 killed as Italian cable car plunges into woodland". CNN. Retrieved 2021-05-23.
- Winfield, Nicole (23 May 2021). "Italian cable car plunges to the ground, killing at least 13". Associated Press. Retrieved 23 May 2021.