association football position played near the opponent's goal
(Redirected from Striker (association football))
A forward (or striker) is a football player who is the closest to the other team's goal. The forwards are the players that are known to score the most goals.
Coaches usually send a forward that scores all the goals (the centre forward) and sends another forward that makes the assists (second striker).
The attackers are normally the last part of the formation numbers, for example:
- 4-3-3 is the formation. This formation shows that there are four defenders, three midfielders and three attackers.
- 4-4-2 is the formation. This formation shows that there are four defenders, four midfielders and two attackers.
- 3-4-3 is the formation. This formation shows that there are three defenders, four midfielders and three attackers.
- German Bundesliga:
- Gerd Müller: 365 goals
- Klaus Fischer: 265 goals
- Jupp Heynckes: 220 goals
- Premier League:
- Alan Shearer: 260 goals
- Andrew Cole: 187 goals
- Thierry Henry: 174 goals
- La Liga (Spain):
- Hugo Sánchez: 234 goals
- Raúl: 228 goals
- Ligue 1 (France):
- Carlos Bianchi: 179 goals
- FIFA World Cup
- Miroslav Klose (Germany): 16 goals
- Ronaldo (Brazil): 15 goals
- Gerd Müller (Germany): 14 goals
- UEFA Champions League
- Raúl: 71 goals
- Ruud van Nistelrooy: 60 goals
- Andriy Shevchenko: 59 goals
- Thierry Henry: 51 goals
- Alfredo Di Stéfano: 49 goals