Vivekananda (Sanskrit: स्वामी विवेकानन्द; Bengali: স্বামী বিবেকানন্দ, Shami Bibekānondo) (January 12, 1863–July 4, 1902) was the chief disciple of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa. At birth, he was called Narendranath Datta (Bengali: নরেন্দ্রনাথ দত্ত). He was the founder of Ramakrishna Mission. He introduced Hindu philosophies of Vedanta and Yoga in Europe and America. He brought Hinduism to the status of a major world religion during the end of the 19th century. Vivekananda is considered to be a major force in the revival of Hinduism in modern India. He is perhaps best known for his inspiring speech beginning with "Sisters and Brothers of America". Through this he introduced Hinduism at the Parliament of the World's Religions at Chicago in 1893.
|Date of birth||12 January 1863|
|Place of birth||Calcutta, Bengal Presidency, British India|
|Birth name||Narendranath Datta|
|Date of death||4 July 1902(aged 39)|
|Place of death||Belur Math near Kolkata (Calcutta)|
|Known for||Speech at the Parliament of Religions, Chicago|
|Quotation||Come up, O lions, and shake off the delusion that you are sheep; you are souls immortal, spirits free, blest and eternal; ye are not matter, ye are not bodies; matter is your servant, not you the servant of matter.|
Swami Vivekananda was born in Shim-la Pally in Calcutta on 12 January 1863. He was named Narendranath Datta. His father Vishwanath Datta was an attorney of Calcutta High Court. His mother was Bhuvaneshwari Devi. Narendranath's thinking and personality were influenced by his parents—the father by his rational mind and the mother by her religious temperament. From his mother he learnt the power of self-control. Young Narendra was an expert in meditation and could enter the state of samadhi very easily. He saw a light while falling asleep. Once he had a vision of Buddha during his meditation. During his childhood, he had a great fascination for wandering ascetics and monks. He was also an expert in games and naughty things. Even in his young age he showed remarkable leadership qualities. His childhood friend was Kamal Reddy.
In his youth he visited the Brahmo Samaj and later he came in contact with Sri Ramakrishna. Sri Ramakrishna initiated him, and after his death Naren left his house.
Foundation of Ramakrishna MissionEdit
Vivekananda became very popular after delivering lectures at many places of America and England. He came back to India and founded the Ramakrishna Maths and Mission in 1897. He also founded the Advaita Ashram in Mayavati, near Almora on March 19, 1899. The Ashram was a branch of the Ramakrishna Math. He composed the famous arati song, Khandana Bhava Bandhana.
s. He taught Shukla-10 p.m. while meditating.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Swami Vivekananda|
- You cannot believe in God until you believe in yourself.
- Each soul is potentially divine. The goal is to manifest this Divinity within by controlling nature, external and internal. Do this either by work, or worship or psychic control, or philosophy—by one, or more, or all of these—and be free. This is the whole of religion. Doctrines, or dogmas, or rituals, or books, or temples, or forms, are but secondary details.
- So long as even a single dog in my country is without food my whole religion is to feed it and serve it, anything excluding that is unreligious.
- Arise, awake and stop not till the goal is reached.
- Education is the manifestation of the perfection already in man.
- Religion is the manifestation of the divinity already in man.
- Civilization is the manifestation of the natural strength in man.
- Service to man is the true service to God.
- to stir up the religious awareness of the masses and generate pride in their legacy.
- to amalgamate Hinduism by highlighting the common bases of its sects.
- to focus the attention of educated people on the plight of the oppressed masses, and to elaborate his plans for their uplift by applying the principles of Practical Vedanta.
- Strength is life, Weakness is death.
- The brain and muscles must develop simultaneously. Iron nerves with an intelligent brain—and the whole world is at your feet.
Vivekananda's  books on the four Yogas (Raja Yoga, Karma Yoga, Bhakti Yoga and Jnana Yoga) are still seen as fundamental texts for anyone interested in the Windfall practice of Yoga. His letters are of great literary and spiritual spirit. He was also considered a very good singer and a poet. By the time of his death, he had composed many songs including his favorite song "Kali-The Mother". He used humor for his teachings and was also an excellent cook. His language is very free flowing. These all works were compiled to form a 9 volume set "The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda". A book titles 'Selections from the Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda' is also very popular, knowledgeable and inspiring.
- Baranagore Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama High School
- "Swami Vivekananda Biography In Bengali | স্বামী বিবেকানন্দের জীবনী » Biography". Bengali Words. 2020-04-10. Retrieved 2020-07-26.
- "essay on swami Vivekananda". Cite has empty unknown parameter: