novella by Franz Kafka
"The Metamorphosis" is a short story by Franz Kafka. It is about a young man named Gregor who wakes up from a nightmare and becomes an insect. Gregor becomes more and more like a bug and less and less like a human, and then he dies.
The story was first published as "Die Verwandlung" in 1915. The original German version is only 70 pages long. It is the longest work of fiction that Kafka thought was complete that was published during his lifetime. Several movies were made from the story. It was also turned into an opera.
- Die Verwandlung Archived 7 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine at DigBib.org (text, pdf, HTML) (in German)
- The Metamorphosis Archived 16 April 2016 at the Wayback Machine, translated 2009 by Ian Johnston of Malaspina University-College, Nanaimo, BC
- The Metamorphosis at The Kafka project, translated by Ian Johnston released to public domain
- The Metamorphosis - Annotated text aligned to Common Core Standards
- The Metamorphosis at Project Gutenberg, translated by David Wyllie
- The Metamorphosis public domain audiobook at LibriVox
- Lecture on The Metamorphosis by Vladimir Nabokov
- Lesson on the difficulties of translating the story into English Archived 18 January 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- Metamorphosis: The Game by Mito Studio, based on the story by Franz Kafka. Archived 27 January 2021 at the Wayback Machine