Characters in Romeo and Juliet
Wikimedia list article
- Escalus (Prince), is the political ruler of Verona. He is the cousin of MERCUTIO and PARIS
- Paris is a nobleman of Verona and the cousin of PRINCE ESCALUS and MERCUTIO. He is in love with JULIET and is CAPULET's choice for her to marry. He is killed by ROMEO at the end of the play.
- Montague is a powerful nobleman of Verona and the head of the Montague family. He is Romeo's father.
- Lady Montague is Montague's wife and Romeo's mother.
- Romeo Montague is the son of Lord and Lady Montague. Romeo falls in love with Juliet Capulet, and secretly marries her. Juliet fakes her death to rid herself of a parental marriage arrangement with Count Paris. Romeo is not aware of the fake death. He believes Juliet is truly dead and kills himself. Leonardo DiCaprio, Leonard Whiting, Douglas Booth and Leslie Howard have played Romeo in movie adaptations of the play. Romeo is also a character in opera and ballet adaptions of the play.
- Benvolio is a member of House Montague and ROMEO's cousin.
- Capulet is a powerful nobleman of Verona and the head of the Capulet family. He is Juliet's father.
- Lady Capulet is CAPULET's wife and JULIET's mother.
- Juliet Capulet is barely a young adult when she meets and falls in love with a family enemy, Romeo Montague. The two marry secretly. When Juliet's parents arrange a marriage for Juliet with Count Paris, she takes a potion that will make her appear to be dead. Her body is taken to a crypt. She later comes back to life. When she discovers Romeo has killed himself, she kills herself. Norma Shearer, Hailee Steinfeld and Olivia Hussey have played Juliet in the movies. The play was adapted to opera and ballet. Rudolph Nureyev and Margot Fonteyn have danced the "star-crossed lovers" in the ballet adaptation.
- Friar Laurence is an old clergyman who secretly marries Romeo and Juliet. Juliet's fake death is his idea. He is unable to prevent Romeo from killing himself.
- Juliet's Nurse is about 28 years old. She has a well known speech in which she recalls Juliet's babyhood.
- Tybalt is a hot-headed young man always looking for a fight. He is Juliet Capulet's cousin. He kills Mercutio in a duel and is later killed by Romeo. Basil Rathbone and Michael York have played Tybalt in the 1936 and 1968 movie adaptations.
- Mercutio is a young man and friend to Romeo. When Romeo declines to participate in a duel with a family enemy, Mercutio takes Romeo's place and is killed as Romeo tries to end the duel. Mercutio is a talkative young man. His most famous speech is the Queen Mab speech.
- Balthasar is ROMEO's personal servant in House Montague.
- Abraham is a servant in House Montague
- Samson is a servant of House Montague.
- Gregory is a servant of House Montague.
- Peter is the NURSE's personal servant in House Capulet.
- Apothacary is a pharmacist who sells Romeo the poison that he uses to kill himself.
- Friar John is a a clergyman in the same group as FRIAR LAURENCE whom he uses to try and send a message to ROMEO.
In addition, the script contains a number of minor characters such as Pages, Musicians, Citizens of Verona, male and female Kinsfolk to both Houses, Masquers, Guards, Watchmen, Officers, and Attendants.