person who has served in the armed forces
A veteran (from the Latin word vetus, meaning old) is a person who has a long experience in something. The term is most often used to describe people who were in the armed forces, especially those who had to fight in a war.
- Military Order of the Loyal Legion
- Grand Army of the Republic
- United Confederate Veterans
There is also the:
- AMVETS - American Veterans organization, also "American Veterans of WW2 and Korea", and later Vietnam
- DAV - Disabled American Veterans organization-for veterans who were disabled by their military service
- Marine Corps League - United States Marine veterans organization
- Veterans organizations are also made up of different branches of the armed services - such as the Army; Navy, USMC or USAF or by units such as ships or divisions or regiments
- "Veteran". Merriam Webster Dictionary. Retrieved 2009-07-23.