He was elected to the Federal Council on 13 December 1888 and died in office on 22 October 1902. He was a member of the Free Democratic Party of Switzerland.
During his office time he held the following departments:
- Military Department (1889 - 1890)
- Department of Finance (1891 - 1899)
- Political Department (1900)
- Department of Finance (1901 - 1902)
He was President of the Confederation twice in 1892 and 1900.
- Ryser, Emil (1931). Zur Erinnerung an unsere lieben Eltern (Bundesrat Walter Hauser, 1837-1902, Sophie Hauser, geb. Wiedemann, 1845-1931) (in German). Bern: Büchler & Co.
- Profile of Walter Hauser with election results on the website of the Swiss Federal Council.
- Walter Hauser in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
| President of the Council of States
| Member of the Swiss Federal Council