The software automatically creates a search link to a specific work in the same way that it does for International Standard Book Numbers (ISBNs) for books. No template is required to enable this feature.
When a DOI number is known, it may be helpful to use it in the same way as itis good practice to use ISBN references for book source.
It is important when making a link to have a colon after "DOI" followed by the numbers and letters.
- Correct: [[doi:10.1016/j.iheduc.2008.03.001]]
- Incorrect: [[doi 10.1016/j.iheduc.2008.03.001]]
- The formatted citation is displayed as a blue link:
- DOI is an acronym for a "Digital Object Identifier". The DOI identifies a published work.
- Ayers, Phoebe et al. (2008). How Wikipedia Works: and How You Can Be a Part of It, p. 186.
- Ayers, p. 190.