(Redirected from 1556 BC)
|Millennium:||2nd millennium BC|
|Centuries:||17th century BC – 16th century BC – 15th century BC|
|Decades:||1580s BC 1570s BC 1560s BC – 1550s BC – 1540s BC 1530s BC 1520s BC|
|Years:||1559 BC 1558 BC 1557 BC 1556 BC 1555 BC 1554 BC 1553 BC 1552 BC 1551 BC 1550 BC|
|Categories:||Births – Deaths – Architecture|
Establishments – Disestablishments
Events and trendsEdit
- The city of Mycenae, in the northeast Peloponnesus, becomes the most powerful in Achaea. The Mycenaean civilization is named after the town.
- 1557 BC—Estimation: Memphis, capital of Lower Egypt becomes the largest city of the world. It takes the lead from Avaris, capital of the Hyksos in Egypt.
- 1556 BC—Cecrops I rebuilds Athens after the great flood of Deucalion. He becomes the first of several Kings of Athens whose life is part of Greek mythology.
- c. 1552 BC—End of Second Intermediate period in Ancient Egypt. Start of New Kingdom. 18th–20th Dynasties.
- 1550 BC—Ahmose I becomes Pharaoh of Egypt.
- 1550 BC—May 14—Lunar Saros 35 begins.
- c. 1550 BC–1500 BC—Dagger blades with lion hunt, from Shaft Grave IV, Grave Circle A, at Mycenae, Greece, are made. They are now at National Archaeological Museum of Athens.
- c. 1550 BC Stonehenge was built.