1914 "La Femme Contemporaine" women's fencing competition
The 1914 La Femme Contemporaine women's fencing competition was a women's international fencing competition during the exposition La Femme Contemporaine in Antwerp, Belgium on 21 May 1914. The competition was organized the fencing academy of Salle Verbrugge. About half of the over 50 women who entered competed. Each fencer competed against each other fencer. The Dutch Esther Bekkers-Lopes Cardozo of Salle Giandomenici won the competition ahead of the Pretorius of Salle Verbrugge the Belgian J. De Deken.
|1914 La Femme Contemporaine women's fencing competition|
|Dates||21 May 1914|
|Competitors||~25 from 4 nations|
Ahead of the competition it was stated as "the most important tournament of the last years".
On 10 May it was reported that over 40 women entered for the competition. With this number of entrants it was stated as "the most important tournament of the last years". This number of entrants increased to over 50 women. However, about half of these entrants withdrawn.
The Algemeen Handelsblad newspaper stated fencers from three nations competed, being Belgium, the United Kingdom and the Netherlands. Newspaper De Telegraaf lists Pretorius as a German, and newspaper De Maasbode names her fräulein, the German language honorific for unmarried women. Algemeen Handelsblad only states that Preorius is from the Belgian "Salle Verbrugge" without indicating a nationality.
In the morning of 21 May 1913 the preliminairy matches were held at Salle Verbruggen. In the afternoon the finalists competed at "Stedelijke Feestzaal", the main the exposition area. The matches were in "competition-format" meaning that each fencer competed against each other fencer.
From the preliminaires, that were held in the morning, the seven women that qualified for the final were:
- Esther Bekkers-Lopes Cardozo (NED)
- Adrie Meyerink (NED)
- Keller (BEL)
- J. De Deken (BEL)
- Verbruggen (BEL)
- Crocks (GBR)
- Pretorius (GER)
|Rank||Name||Salle||Won||Lost||Given touche||Received touche|
|1||Esther Bekkers-Lopes Cardozo (NED)||Salle Giandomenici||7||0||25|
|2||Pretorius (GER)||Salle Verbrugge||6||1|
|3||J. De Deken (BEL)||Salle Verbrugge||4||3||30||23|
|4||Adrie Meyerink (NED)||Salle Giandomenici||4||3||30||24|
Gala Assaut Edit
- "Schermen. Een succes voor Holland". Algmeen Handelsblad (in Dutch). 23 May 1914. Retrieved 26 September 2022 – via Delpher.
- "Schermen". Bredasche courant (in Dutch). 12 May 1914. Retrieved 26 September 2022 – via Delpher.
- "Schermen. Damestornooi te Antwerpen". De Telegraaf (in Dutch). 10 May 1914. Retrieved 26 September 2022 – via Delpher.
- "Schermen. Dameswedstrijd te Antwerpen". De Telegraaf (in Dutch). 22 May 1914. Retrieved 26 September 2022 – via Delpher.
- "Schermen". De Maasbode (in Dutch). 23 May 1914. Retrieved 26 September 2022 – via Delpher.