2006 Hengchun earthquakes
The 2006 Hengchun earthquake happened on Tuesday December 26, 2006 at 12:25 UTC (20:25 local time) near Taiwan. On the surface the center of the earthquake was about 22.8 km west southwest of Hengchun, Pingtung County, Taiwan. The center of the earthquake underground was 21.9 km deep in the Luzon Strait ().
|UTC time||Doublet earthquake:|
|A: 2006-12-26 12:26:21|
|B: 2006-12-26 12:34:15|
|Local date||December 26, 2006|
|A: 7.0 Mw|
|B: 6.9 Mw|
|Depth||10 km (6.2 mi)|
|Aftershocks||5.5 mb Dec 26 at 12:40 |
5.6 Mw Dec 27 at 2:30
|Casualties||2 dead; 42 injured|
Reports of the strength of the quake do not all agree. Taiwan's Central Weather Bureau reported 7.0 ML  The United States Geological Survey estimated the quake to be 7.1 Mw  The Hong Kong Observatory  and the Japan Meteorological Agency  said 7.2 Mw. Taiwan's Central News Agency reported that it was the strongest earthquake to hit Hengchun in one hundred years. The earthquake hurt and killed many people and damaged many buildings. It also damaged several undersea cables. The broken cables were a problem for telecommunication services in parts of Asia.
The date of the earthquake was unusual. The earthquake happened exactly two years after the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake that caused terrible damage to the coastal communities across Southeast and South Asia. It was also exactly three years after the 2003 earthquake that almost destroyed the southern Iranian city of Bam.
Tsunami warning change
Warning from agencies in other areas change
An early tsunami warning came from the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA). They reported that the earthquake caused a 1-meter tsunami. It was moving towards the east coast of the Philippines. The Hong Kong Observatory also reported a tsunami that would probably not affect Hong Kong.
Related pages change
- Earthquake Report #95106 Archived 2011-10-08 at the Wayback Machine, Central Weather Bureau of Taiwan, 2010-04-14
- USGS Earthquake Hazards Program » Magnitude 7.1 - TAIWAN REGION Archived 2010-01-27 at the Wayback Machine, USGS, 2006-12-26
- List of locally felt earth tremors since 1979 Archived 2007-04-20 at the Wayback Machine, Hong Kong Observatory
- 台湾付近震度分布図 Archived 2012-02-10 at the Wayback Machine, Japan Meteorological Agency, 2006-12-26 (in Japanese)
- 2 KILLED IN STRONGEST EARTHQUAKE IN HENGCHUN IN 100 YEARS Archived 2007-09-27 at the Wayback Machine, Central News Agency, Taiwan, 2006-12-27
- 從恆春地震看國內建築防震問題 Archived 2007-05-07 at the Wayback Machine, 新浪新聞中心|中廣新聞網, 2006-12-28 (in Chinese)
- Tsunami Information and Warning Archived 2011-05-24 at the Wayback Machine, Hong Kong Observatory
Other websites change
- US Geological Survey (USGS) earthquake report Archived 2008-06-01 at the Wayback Machine
- Taiwan's Central Weather Bureau earthquake report
- Central Weather Bureau of Taiwan Archived 2018-10-25 at the Wayback Machine The CWB maintains an up-to-date record of earthquakes and their aftershocks.
- Reuters article[permanent dead link]
- BBC NEWS article
- CNN article Archived 2007-01-21 at the Wayback Machine
- International Herald Tribune article Archived 2008-11-23 at the Wayback Machine
- Singapore's Channel NewsAsia report on 28 December 2006 Archived 1 October 2007 at the Wayback Machine