2020 Belarusian presidential election
The Presidential elections were held in Belarus on 9 August 2020.
These candidates appeared on the ballot:
It was announced that Lukashenko won the election, marking his 6th term as President of the Republic of Belarus. This was disputed by both national and international sources. The platform "Golos (voice)" created prior to the election allowed Belarusians to upload photographs of their voting papers. From the sample provided – over 1 million voters – it was proven impossible for former President Lukashenko to obtain the number of votes stated.
Total Votes (Popular Vote)Edit
- Lukashenko - 4,661,075 (81.04%)
- Tsikhanouskaya - 588,619 (10.23%)
Opposition candidate Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya declared herself as the national leader of the country and called on Lukashenko to start negotiations. Meanwhile, her campaign team stated that they were ready to hold "long-term protests" against the official results.
- "Явка избирателей". Archived from the original on 1 June 2020. Retrieved 9 August 2020.
- "Тихановская объявила себя победителем президентских выборов и предложила переговоры Лукашенко". meduza.io. Retrieved 2020-08-10.
- "Менск: да «Рыгі» дабраліся сілавікі, пачалася зачыстка, чуваць шумавыя гранаты, будуюцца барыкады". Радыё Свабода (in Belarusian).