2020 Nagorno-Karabakh war
The 2020 Nagorno-Karabakh war was a war between the Azerbaijani Armed Forces and the allied Artsakh Defence Army and Armed Forces of Armenia in the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh. This is the most recent event during the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
The clashes began on the morning of 27 September 2020 along the Nagorno-Karabakh Line of Contact. Both sides reported military and civilian casualties. In response to the clashes, Armenia and the Republic of Artsakh placed curfews, martial law and total mobilization, while Azerbaijan introduced martial law and a curfew.
On 28 September partial mobilization was declared in Azerbaijan.
On 9 November, with the help of Russian President Vladimir Putin, both Armenia and Azerbaijan signed a ceasefire agreement in Moscow, ending the war the next day. Under the agreement, Azerbaijan kept not only the territory it won during the war, all the territories still controlled by Armenians outside the Nagorno-Karabakh region, were given by Putin to Azerbaijani control. In the rest of Nagorno-Karabakh, which are controlled by Armenians, Russian peacekeepers have been stationed for a period of five years. Under the agreement, when the five year term ends on 9 November 2025, the peacekeeping mission of Russia can be renewed for another five years or ended if Azerbaijan or Armenia do not want it to continue.
- "Fighting erupts between Armenia, Azerbaijan over disputed region". Al Jazeera. 27 September 2020. Retrieved 27 September 2020.
- "Nagorno-Karabakh announces martial law and total mobilization". Reuters. 27 September 2020. Retrieved 27 September 2020.
- "Azerbaijan's parliament approves martial law, curfews – president's aide". Reuters. 27 September 2020. Retrieved 27 September 2020.
- "Vilayat Eyvazov appointed commandant of areas where curfew is applied – ORDER". APA.az. 28 September 2020. Retrieved 28 September 2020.
- "Partial mobilization announced in Azerbaijan". Azeri Press Agency. 28 September 2020. Retrieved 28 September 2020.
- "Nagorno-Karabakh: Armenia and Azerbaijan agree ceasefire". BBC. 9 October 2020.
- Agency, Anadolu (November 10, 2020). "Euphoric Azerbaijanis celebrate 'victorious' Nagorno-Karabakh peace deal". Daily Sabah.