|Centuries:||2nd century – 3rd century – 4th century|
|Decades:||180s 190s 200s – 210s – 220s 230s 240s|
|Years:||214 215 216 – 217 – 218 219 220|
- April 8 – Caracalla is killed by his legionaries near Edessa. Marcus Opellius Macrinus head of the Praetorian Guard, calls himself Roman emperor.
- Summer – Battle of Nisibis: The Roman army is defeated in a three days battle by the Parthians at Nisibis (southern Turkey).
- King Artabanus IV signs a peace treaty with Rome.
- Macrinus, of Mauritania, becomes the first equestrian Roman emperor.
- Empress Julia kills herself.
- The Colosseum is badly damaged by fire. It destroys the wooden upper levels of the amphitheater.
- April 8 – Caracalla, Roman Emperor (assassinated) (b. 188)
- Julia Domna, Roman Empress (suicide) (b. 170)
- December 20 – Pope Zephyrinus
- Chen Lin, minister of Han Dynasty
- Lu Su, advisor to Sun Quan, sympathetic to Liu Bei (b. 172)
- Wang Can, Chinese poet, scholar, and statesman of Cao Wei (b. 177)
- Sima Lang, official of Han Dynasty (b. 171)