Abdülaziz (Ottoman Turkish: عبد العزيز) ( February 1830 – 4 June 1876) was the 32nd Sultan of the Ottoman Empire and was 111st Caliph of Islam. He ascended the throne when he was 31 years old, reigned between 25 June 1861 and 30 May 1876. He was the son of Sultan Mahmud II and became sultan after the death of his brother Abdülmecid I. He was deposed in 1876, having become unpopular, and was found dead six days later.
Abdülaziz was fond of wrestling, hunting and arm wrestling. He expanded and modernized the Ottoman Navy, making it the third largest in the world. This resulted in large debts to European countries. He also bought modern weapons for the Ottoman Army and expanded it.
Sultan Abdülaziz frequently organized trips to inland and out of country. He was first Sultan who visited Egypt after Yavuz Sultan Selim that conqueared Egypt.
As well as principalities Abdülaziz was first Sultan that visits Europe often. And often contacted with other countries leaders.
In peroid of Abülaziz Ottomans pay attention to get along with West. Ottoman's westernization politics that come from Edict Of Gülhane continued.
New provinces announced country-wide and Istanbul University edited with copying France Education System. Sirkeci Station's foundation started Abdülaziz era.
This is the Abülaziz's a few innovation during his 15 years reign.
- New soldier uniforms prepared.
- Post stamps used first time
- Lighthouses built to coasts.
- Ottoman Bank opened.
- High school and industry school opened.
- Forest, mine, and medicine schools opened
- France, Austria, and Iran Managers visited Istanbul.
Lover of Polish Arabian HorsesEdit
In 1864 the westernizing Ottoman sultan Abdülaziz imported 90 mares and two stallions from Count Branicki"s studs in Bialocerkiew/Poland.
The descendants of Abdulaziz have her own throne succession arrangementsEdit
Only male descendants of Abdulaziz are considered representatives of the former Ottoman throne.
- Abdülmecid II, last Ottoman Caliph (1922–1924), 37th Post-Imperial of the House of Osman (1922–1944), son of Abdülaziz I.
- Şehzade Mehmed Cemaleddin, Post-Imperial Head of the House of Osman (1944-1946), grandson of Sultan Abdülaziz I.
- Şehzade Ömer Faruk Osmanoğlu, Post-Imperial Head of the House of Osman (1946-1969), grandson of Sultan Abdülaziz I.
- Şehzade Mehmed Abdülaziz II, Post-Imperial Head of the House of Osman (1969–1977), grandson of Sultan Abdülaziz I.
- Şehzade Süleyman Saadeddin, Post-Imperial Head of the House of Osman (1977-1985), great-grandson of Sultan Abdülaziz I.
- Şehzade Orhan Saadeddin, Post-Imperial Head of the House of Osman since 1985, great-great-grandson of Sultan Abdülaziz I.
AbdülazizBorn: 9 February 1830 Died: 4 June 1876
| Sultan of the Ottoman Empire
25 Jun 1861 – 30 May 1876
|Sunni Islam titles|
| Caliph of Islam
25 Jun 1861 – 30 May 1876