Wood was born on 13 March 1955. He was educated at the Royal Grammar School, High Wycombe and graduated from Oriel College, Oxford in 1977. Wood's later career consisted of major diplomatic roles in Africa. He was the British High Commissioner to Uganda from 2002 to 2005. He then served as High Commissioner to Kenya from 2005 to 2008. Prior to his retirement from the diplomatic service in 2010, he was Africa Director at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. At this post he managed Britain's embassies in Africa. Wood was announced as Lieutenant Governor of the Isle of Man in November 2010, and was sworn in on 7 April 2011. He is married to Catherine Richardson. They have one daughter, born in 2009.
- "Office of Lieutenant Governor". Government of the Isle of Man. 2014. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "Change of British High Commissioner to Kenya". Foreign and Commonwealth Office. 29 April 2005. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "Biography of Lieutenant Governor". Government of the Isle of Man. 2014. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "Queen names Adam Wood as new Isle of Man governor". BBC News. 16 November 2010. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "New Governor Adam Wood meets Isle of Man residents". BBC News. 7 April 2011. Retrieved 9 July 2014.