Sir Alec John Jeffreys CH FRS (born 9 January 1950) is a British geneticist. He developed techniques for genetic fingerprinting and DNA profiling which are now used worldwide in forensic science. The information helps police detective work and solves paternity and immigration disputes.
Sir Alec Jeffreys
|Education||Luton Sixth Form College|
|Alma mater||University of Oxford (BA, DPhil)|
|Known for||Genetic fingerprinting|
Susan Miles (m. 1971)
|Thesis||Studies on the mitochondria of cultured mammalian cells (1975)|
Jeffreys is a professor of genetics at the University of Leicester. He became an honorary freeman of the City of Leicester on 26 November 1992. In 1994, he was knighted for services to genetics.
- Jeffreys, Alec John (1987). "Highly variable minisatellites and DNA fingerprints". Biochemical Society Transactions. 15 (3): 309–17. doi:10.1042/bst0150309. PMID 2887471.
- "Find people in the EMBO Communities". people.embo.org.
- "Leicester University Professor Sir Alec Jeffreys wins science's oldest prize". Leicester Mercury. 5 August 2014. Retrieved 5 August 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The DNA of a King: Dr Turi King on the genome sequencing of Richard III - Culture24". www.culture24.org.uk.
- DNA pioneer's 'eureka' moment BBC. Retrieved 14 October 2011
- Zagorski, Nick (2006). "Profile of Alec J. Jeffreys". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 103 (24): 8918–8920. doi:10.1073/pnas.0603953103. PMC 1482540. PMID 16754883.
- "Staff pages: Professor Sir Alec J. Jeffreys FRS". University of Leicester. Archived from the original on 15 November 2010. Retrieved 15 December 2007. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "List of persons upon whom the honorary freedom of the city has been conferred". Leicester City Council. Archived from the original on 15 November 2010. Retrieved 15 December 2007. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Jeffreys, A. J. (2013). "The man behind the DNA fingerprints: An interview with Professor Sir Alec Jeffreys". Investigative Genetics. 4 (1): 21. doi:10.1186/2041-2223-4-21. PMC 3831583. PMID 24245655.
- "Jeffreys reflects on DNA finding". 11 September 2009 – via news.bbc.co.uk.