Originally, the words "dissertation" and "thesis" had separate meanings. When, at ancient universities, the professor had completed his lecture, there would be a disputation. During this, students could take up certain points and argue them. The position that one took during a disputation was the thesis, while the dissertation was the line of reasoning with which one supported it.
- en.wikibooks.org/wiki/ETD_Guide Guide to electronic theses and dissertations on Wikibooks
- Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD)
- How to write a PhD thesis with mind maps (tutorial).
- Free thesis indexing service
- EThOS Database Database of Theses available through the British Library