An archive is a collection of records. The term is also used for the location in which these records are kept. Archives are made up of records which have been created during the course of an individual or organization's life. In general, an archive consists of records which have been selected for permanent or long-term preservation. Records, which may be in any media, are normally unpublished, unlike books and other publications. Archives may also be generated by large organisations such as corporations and governments. Archives are different from libraries in that archives hold records which are unique. Archives can be described as holding information "by-products" of activities, while libraries hold specifically authored information "products". The word 'archives' is the correct terminology, whereas 'archive' as a noun or a verb is related to computer science.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Archives.|
- UNESCO Archives Portal Archived 2006-02-02 at the Wayback Machine - over 8000 links worldwide
- International Council on Archives
- Archives Hub — gateway to descriptions of archives held in UK universities and colleges, part of the National Archives Network
- InterPares Project — international project on electronic records
- Access to Archives (A2A) — the English strand of the UK archives network
- Online-Guide to Archives around the globe