Augustine of Hippo
Early life change
Augustine was born in the year 354. His mother is believed to have been of Berber origin.
After growing up, he began to learn and write a lot about Christianity, and became a bishop in Hippo Regius, which was in modern-day Annaba, Algeria. He was highly influenced by archbishop Ambrose. Later in life, Augustine moved to Italy, and over the next years his religious ideology grew stronger, and he became a teacher.
- On Christian Doctrine, wrt397-426
- Confessions, 397-398
- The City of God, begun ca. 413, finished 426
- On the Trinity, 400-416
- Retractions: At the end of his life (ca. 426-428) Augustine revisited his previous works in chronological order and suggested what he would have said differently in a work titled the "Retractions", giving the reader a rare picture of the development of a writer and his final thoughts.
- The Literal Meaning of Genesis
- On Free Choice of the Will
Related pages change
- aka The Story of Philosophy, Dorling Kindersley Publishing, 2001, ISBN 0-7894-7994-X
- (subtitled on cover: The Essential Guide to the History of Western Philosophy)
- g Saint Augustine, pages 30, 144; City of God 51, 52, 53 and The Confessions 50, 51, 52
- - additional in the Dictionary of the History of Ideas for Saint Augustine and Neo-Platonism Archived 2007-08-07 at the Wayback Machine
- Brown, Peter. Augustine of Hippo. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1967. ISBN 0-520-00186-9
- Gareth B. Matthews. Augustine. Blackwell, 2005. ISBN 0-631-23348-2
- O'Donnell, James J. Augustine: A New Biography. New York: HarperCollins, 2005. ISBN 0-06-053537-7
- Ruickbie, Leo. Witchcraft Out of the Shadows. London: Robert Hale, 2004. ISBN 0-7090-7567-7, pp. 57–8.
- Tanquerey, Adolphe. The Spiritual Life: A Treatise on Ascetical and Mystical Theology. Reprinted Ed. (original 1930). Rockford, IL: Tan Books, 2000. ISBN 0-89555-659-6, p. 37.
- von Heyking, John. Augustine and Politics as Longing in the World. Columbia: University of Missouri Press, 2001. ISBN 0-8262-1349-9
- Orbis Augustinianus sive conventuum O. Erem. S. A. chorographica et topographica descriptio Archived 2005-03-21 at the Wayback Machine Augustino Lubin, Paris, 1659, 1671, 1672.
- Zumkeller O.S.A.,Adolar (1986). Augustine's ideal of Religious life. Fordham University Press, New York.
- Zumkeller O.S.A.,Adolar (1987). Augustine's Rule. Augustinian Press, Villanova, Pennsylvania U.S.A.
- René Pottier. Saint Augustin le Berbère. Fernand Lanore, 2006. ISBN 2-85157-282-2
- Fitzgerald, Allan D., ed. (1999). Augustine through the Ages: An Encyclopedia. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. ISBN 0-8028-3843-X
- Plumer, Eric Antone (2003). Augustine's Commentary on Galatians. Oxford [England] ; New York : Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-924439-1 ISBN 978-0-19-924439-3 Preview from Google
Other websites change
- University of Pennsylvania, Augustine of Hippo - Texts, translations, introductions, commentaries (Webarchive), 2006-10-22
- EarlyChurch.org.uk Extensive bibliography and on-line articles.
- Life of St. Augustine of Hippo, from the Catholic Encyclopedia
- Augstine of Hippo Archived 2007-10-13 at the Wayback Machine, at Centropian
- Texts by Augustine:
- Works by Augustine of Hippo at Project Gutenberg
- In Latin, at The Latin Library: books and letters by Augustine
- At "Christian Classics Ethereal Library" Translations of several works by Augustine, incl. introductions
- Sant'Agostino - Vita, Scritti, Pensiero, Santità, Attualità Full Latin and Italian text resource
- At "IntraText Digital Library": Works by Augustine in several languages, with concordance and frequency list
- St. Augustine's Multilingual Opera Omnia
- Texts on Augustine:
- Augustine and 'other Catholics' Archived 2014-11-01 at the Wayback Machine
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy entry
- "Augustine's Concept of Freedom: The Dynamic of Sin and Grace" from Grace Incarnate (1989) Archived 2006-08-29 at the Wayback Machine
- Augustine's Heavenly City and the Western Mind Pgs 22-24
- On Music
- On Original Sin ask Dan Santos
- Links to the Augustinian Order
- Audio books
- Augustine and Orthodoxy
- Blessed Augustine of Hippo: His Place in the Orthodox Church
- St Augustine the Bishop of Hippo Orthodox icon and synaxarion