BTS or Bangtan Boys (Hangul: 방탄소년단; RR: Bangtan Sonyeondan), is a South Korean boy band made up of seven members. They were created by Big Hit Entertainment in 2013. The members include RM, Jin, Suga, J-Hope, Jimin, V, and Jungkook. The group debuted on June 13, 2013 with their EP 2 Cool 4 Skool. They have since released 5 Korean studio albums: Dark & Wild (2014); Wings (2016); Love Yourself: Tear (2018); Map of the Soul: 7 (2020) and BE (2020)
|Also known as|
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
In 2015, they found success in the American charts with their fourth extended play (EP), The Most Beautiful Moment in Life, Pt. 2 entering the U.S Billboard 200. The group is recognized as those who led the Korean Wave into the United States and have broken several sales records, becoming the first Korean group to receive an award by the Recording Industry Association of America for their single "Mic Drop". They are the first Korean act to top the U.S Billboard 200.
Along with their success in selling albums, BTS have also been included in Time's "100 Most Influential People In The World". They have also donated to charities and launched the Love Myself campaign which helped programs stop violence against children and teenagers.
The name BTS is from Bangtan Sonyeondan (Hangul: 방탄소년단; Hanja: 防彈少年團), which is Korean for "Bulletproof Boy Scouts." According to member J-Hope, the name was chosen to show the group's desire "to block out stereotypes, criticisms, and expectations that aim on adolescents like bullets".
Their name in Japanese is Bōdan Shōnendan (防弾少年団), which means the same thing.
In July 2017, BTS announced that their name would also stand for "Beyond the Scene." This extended their name to mean "growing youth BTS who is going beyond the realities they are facing, and going forward."
The CEO of Big Hit Entertainment, Bang Si-Hyuk, met with the group's leader RM and was impressed by his rapping. BTS was supposed to be like a hip hop group, but Bang decided that young people nowadays need "a hero who can lend them a shoulder to lean on, even without speaking a single word". He decided that those heroes would be the members of BTS and so the group was reorganized into a more traditional idol group.
On June 12, 2013, BTS released their album 2 Cool 4 Skool. This was a song with a single song, "No More Dream." It was not a commercial success.
In September 2014, BTS released their extended play, O!RUL8,2? (Oh! Are you late, too?) In it were songs that criticized the Korean educational system and talked about finding themselves in the world. It was more successful than their first album.
BTS has seven members.
|Stage Name||Birthname (Korean)||Birthday||Position|
|RM||Kim Namjoon (김남준)||12.09.1994||Leader, Rapper|
|Jin (진)||Kim Seokjin (김석진)||04.12.1992||Vocalist, Visual|
|Suga (슈가)||Min Yoongi (민윤기)||09.03.1993||Lead Rapper|
|J-Hope (제이홉)||Jung Hoseok (정호석)||18.02.1994||Main Dancer, Rapper, Sub Vocalist|
|Jimin (지민)||Park Jimin (박지민)||13.10.1995||Main Dancer, Lead Vocalist|
|V (뷔)||Kim Taehyung (김태형)||30.12.1995||Lead Dancer, Vocalist, Visual|
|Jungkook (정국)||Jeon Jungkook (전정국)||01.09.1997||Main Vocalist, Lead Dancer, Sub Rapper|
- Dark & Wild (2014)
- Wings (2016)
- Love Yourself: Tear (2018)
- Map of the Soul: 7 (2020)
- BE (2020)
- 2 Cool 4 Skool (2013)
- O!RUL8,2? (2013)
- Skool Luv Affair (2014)
- The Most Beautiful Moment in Life, Pt. 1 (2015)
- The Most Beautiful Moment in Life, Pt. 2 (2015)
- Love Yourself: Her (2017)
- Map of the Soul: Persona (2019)
- Wake Up (2014)
- Youth (2016)
- Face Yourself (2018)
- Map of the Soul: 7 ~The Journey~ (2020)
- "シングル「血、汗、涙」を5月10日にリリース！". BTS Universal Music Japan Page. Universal Music LLC, Japan. March 23, 2017. Archived from the original on March 24, 2017. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Friedman, Roger (August 25, 2018). "Crazy Rich Asians: South Korean Boy Band BTS First US Release Explodes Gangnam Style, Swamps iTunes Singles, Album Charts". Showbiz411.com. Retrieved August 25, 2018.
- "KPOP NEWS - BTS Donates to Families of Sewol Ferry Victims | Mwave". web.archive.org. 2017-04-23. Retrieved 2019-08-30.
- "BTS donates 7 tons of rice for charity". kpopherald.koreaherald.com. Retrieved 2019-08-30.
- "About LOVE MYSELF". LOVE MYSELF (in Korean). Retrieved 2019-08-30.
- "방탄소년단 "팀명 후보, 빅키즈 영네이션 있었다"(야만TV)". Newsen (in Korean). June 22, 2015. Retrieved March 9, 2018.
- Trabasso, Giovanna (May 29, 2016). "BTS Is Tackling Problems That Are Taboo". Affinity Magazine. Archived from the original on March 29, 2019. Retrieved September 4, 2019.
- "BTS" (in Japanese). Universal Music Japan. Retrieved June 3, 2018.
- "방탄소년단, 팬클럽 아미와 연결된 새 BI 공개 "문을 열고 나아가는 청춘"" (in Korean). Naver. July 5, 2017. Archived from the original on August 12, 2017. Retrieved July 5, 2017.
- "BTS Brand eXperience Design Renewal". Behance. September 26, 2017. Archived from the original on October 11, 2017. Retrieved March 9, 2018.
- Bruner, Raisa. "Backed by Passionate Fans, BTS Takes K-Pop Worldwide". Time. Retrieved April 17, 2019.
- "PROFILE | BTS | Big Hit Entertainment". www.ibighit.com. Retrieved 2020-06-11.
- "BTS". Wikipedia. 2020-06-09.
- "DISCOGRAPHY | BTS | Big Hit Entertainment". www.ibighit.com. Retrieved 2020-06-11.