A bearing is a device to permit fixed direction motion between two parts, typically rotation or linear movement. Bearings may be broadly grouped by the way they work. The most common of the many types are plain bearings and rolling-element bearings.
The two main types of rolling-element bearings are ball bearings and roller bearings. In ball bearings, the rolling elements are spherical balls. In roller bearings, the rolling elements are cylindrical, taper or spherical rollers. Ball bearings are shown in the pictures.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bearings.|
- Comprehensive article on bearings
- How Bearings Work - Animations and functioning
- How Bearings Work - - Animations on www.mechanismen.be
- Early Bearing Failure Detection - Case study
- Catalogs, CAD files and more Bearings information from Bosch Rexroth