Book of Wisdom
The Book of Wisdom (also called Wisdom of Solomon or just Wisdom) is one of the books of the Old Testament. It has been grouped among the Septuagint, or the seven wisdom books of the Bible. It is part of the Catholic and Orthodox Biblical canon, put forward by the Council of Carthage in 397 and confirmed by Catholic leaders at the Council of Trent in 1546. It was written by a Jew in Ancient Egypt in the 1st century BC and talks about wisdom among other themes.
Who wrote the book and whenEdit
The book was initially written in the Greek language, but has the style of Hebrew poetry. Tradition says that King Solomon wrote the book, but scholars reject this tradition. The Catholic Encyclopedia says: "It is freely admitted that Solomon is not the writer of the Book of Wisdom, which has been ascribed to him because its author, through a literary fiction, speaks as if he were the Son of David.".
The book has the most classical Greek language of all the books in the Septuagint. It also had much of the Hebrew style that had existed when the book was written. The writer also must have been deeply involved in the philosophical, religious, and ethical writings in Hellenistic Alexandria.
- Wisdom of Solomon - King James version from University of Virginia
- The Book of Wisdom - Full text (Douay-Rheims version) from http://St-Takla.org (also available in Arabic)
- The Book of Wisdom - Latin Vulgate with Douay-Rheims version side-by-side
- The Book of Wisdom Archived 2010-06-19 at the Wayback Machine - Latin Vulgate
- The Book of Wisdom - Septuagint Greek text
- Catholic Encyclopedia: Book of Wisdom
- Jewish Encyclopedia: WISDOM OF SOLOMON, BOOK OF THE
- NT Allusions to Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha Archived 2007-10-14 at the Wayback Machine
- St. Bonaventure's Commentary on the Book of Wisdom Archived 2010-08-06 at the Wayback Machine
- Naphtali Herz Wessely's commentary on the Wisdom of Solomon (in Hebrew)
- archive.org - mp3-version of 'The Book of Wisdom', chapters 1-10 and chapters 11-19
Song of Solomon
|Roman Catholic Old Testament||Followed by|
|Eastern Orthodox Old Testament|