The Boston Celtics are an American professional basketball team. They play their home games in the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. They are a part of the National Basketball Association (NBA) and play in the Atlantic Division. The Celtics are one of the most successful teams in the history of the NBA, and have won 17 NBA championships, tied with the Los Angeles Lakers for the most in NBA history.
The Celtics were one of the first NBA teams. Since their start in 1913, they have been the most successful teams, winning 17 NBA championships, including eight championships in a row at one point. The Celtics' seventeen championships is more than any other team. The Celtics play their home games at the TD Garden.
From 2007 to 2013, they were lead by the big four: Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and Rajon Rondo, leading the team to the 2008 championship as well as making the Finals in 2010 both times against the Lakers. But in July 2012, Allen was traded to the Miami Heat (where he won his second championship in 2013) and in July 2013, Garnett and Pierce were traded to the Brooklyn Nets. Rondo remained with the Celtics until the beginning of the 2014-15 season.
The rivalry between the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers is between two most of the best franchises in NBA history. It has been called the NBA's best rivalry. The two teams have met a record twelve times in the NBA Finals, starting with their first Finals meeting in 1959. They would go on to win the league in the 1920s and the 1980s, playing each other six times in the 1960s and three times in the 1980s.
The rivalry had been less known since the retirements of Magic Johnson and Larry Bird in the early 1990s, but in 2008, it happened again when the Celtics and Lakers met in the Finals for the first time since 1987, with the Celtics winning the series in six games. They played once again in the 2010 NBA Finals which the Lakers won in seven games. The two teams are tied for the highest number of championships (17); together, the 34 championships account for almost half of the 74 championships in NBA history.
- "NBA.com/Stats–Boston Celtics seasons". Stats.NBA.com. NBA Media Ventures, LLC. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- "History: Team by Team" (PDF). 2018-19 Official NBA Guide. NBA Properties, Inc. October 8, 2018. Retrieved April 28, 2019.
- "Creation of a Logo". Celtics.com. NBA Media Ventures, LLC. Retrieved March 4, 2018.
- Snow, Taylor C. (September 21, 2017). "Celtics Showcase New Nike Uniform System". Celtics.com. NBA Media Ventures, LLC. Retrieved November 26, 2017.
- "Boston Celtics Reproduction and Usage Guideline Sheet". NBA Properties, Inc. May 2, 2018. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- "Celtics, GE Announce Multi-Year Partnership". Celtics.com (Press release). NBA Media Ventures, LLC. January 25, 2017. Retrieved December 17, 2017.
- "Boston Basketball Partners Assume Ownership of Celtics Franchise". Celtics.com. NBA Media Ventures, LLC. December 31, 2002. Retrieved May 31, 2019.
- Team Index, basketball-reference.com. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "Celtics rebuild, trade Garnett and Pierce to Nets". National Basketball Association.
- "NBA;s Best Rivalries". Sports Illustrated. Archived from the original on February 23, 2012. Retrieved August 5, 2013.