Karla Camila Cabello Estrabao (born March 3, 1997), known simply as Camila Cabello,[a] is a Cuban Mexican American singer and songwriter. Camila's dad is from Mexico and her mum is Cuban. She began her career in 2013 as a contestant on the American version of The X Factor. She was eliminated from the show but was brought back with four other girl contestants to create the group Fifth Harmony. That group finished in third place.
|Birth name||Karla Camila Cabello Estrabao|
|Born||March 3, 1997|
|Origin||Miami, Florida, U.S.|
She launched a solo career in December 2016, leading to successful songs like "Crying in the Club" and "Havana", which became her first number-one song in the US. Havanna was number 1 in the UK for four weeks and it still is in the charts. Her debut solo album, Camila, was also at the top of the charts the same week as "Havana" did, making her only the third artist to have their first album and a single at the top of the charts at the same time. She has a younger sister.
Solo career (2016–present)Edit
On December 18, 2016, Cabello announced that she was leaving Fifth Harmony.
Cabello released several singles throughout 2017. Her most successful, "Havana", with rapper Young Thug, was released in August of that year, as the lead single from her first solo album. The song was at the top of charts in Canada, Australia, and the UK. After spending seven weeks at number two in the US, the song reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 for the week ending January 27, 2018.
Her debut solo album, Camila, was released on January 12, 2018. It entered at the top of the Billboard 200 album chart in the US with over 119,000 combined streams and copies sold. With this, she became only the third artist in history to have their first number-one album and first number-one single in the same week. Only Beyoncé and Britney Spears have done this before in 2003 and 1999, respectively.
She began dating Canadian singer Shawn Mendes in July 2019. The relationship caused controversy, as both were accused of attempting to form a relationship for publicity, but Mendes insisted it was "definitely not a publicity stunt". The relationship was confirmed after the release of their song "Señorita". In November 2021, Cabello and Mendes announced their breakup.
- "Camila Cabello | Biography & History | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2018-01-24.
- "Camila Cabello". IMDb. Retrieved 2018-01-24.
- "Camila Cabello Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard 200 Albums Chart". Billboard. Retrieved 2018-01-24.
- "Camila Cabello, Beyonce & Britney Spears: The Last Three Artists to Earn First Weeks at No. 1 on Hot 100 & Billboard 200 Simultaneously". Billboard. Retrieved 2018-01-24.
- "Inside Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello's relationship". Capital FM. September 12, 2019. Retrieved September 17, 2019.
- Cooper, Leonie (September 13, 2019). "Bad fauxmance: when celebrity couples become PR stunts". The Guardian. Retrieved September 18, 2019.
- "Camila Cabello & Shawn Mendes Announce Their Breakup". 2021-11-17. Retrieved 2021-11-17.