Carbon monoxide poisoning

toxicity due to exposure to carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide poisoning happens from breathing in carbon monoxide (CO) at large levels.[1]

Symptoms are often described as "flu-like" and commonly include headache, dizziness, weakness, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. Large exposures can result in loss of consciousness, arrhythmias, seizures, or death.[2]

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be accidental, like if the oven's gas is left on by accident or a gas leak. However, it can often be used as a suicide method such as keeping the car on while in a closed garage.

ReferencesEdit

  1. Schottke, David (2016). Emergency Medical Responder: Your First Response in Emergency Care. Jones & Bartlett Learning. p. 224. ISBN 978-1284107272. Archived from the original on 10 September 2017. Retrieved 2 July 2017.
  2. Guzman, JA (October 2012). "Carbon monoxide poisoning". Critical Care Clinics. 28 (4): 537–48. doi:10.1016/j.ccc.2012.07.007. PMID 22998990.