Catholic Archdiocese of Boston sex abuse scandal
In early 2002, The Boston Globe published results of an investigation that led to the criminal prosecutions of five Roman Catholic priests and pushed the sexual abuse of minors by Catholic clergy into the national spotlight.
Another accused priest who was involved in the Spotlight scandal also pleaded guilty. The Globe's coverage encouraged other victims to come forward with allegations of abuse, resulting in numerous lawsuits and more criminal cases.
Later investigations and allegations revealed a pattern of sexual abuse and cover-ups in a number of large dioceses across the United States.
The investigation of the scandal by The Boston Globe was titled "Spotlight Investigation: Abuse in the Catholic Church". Its reporting was made into a movie in 2015, which won two Academy Awards including Best Picture.
- "Abuse in the Catholic Church". Archived from the original on May 18, 2008. Retrieved March 21, 2009.
- "Practice areas". Retrieved March 21, 2009.
- "CHALLENGING THE CHURCH". PBS. March 26, 2002. Archived from the original on March 1, 2012. Retrieved March 21, 2009.
- "Boston Globe / Spotlight / Abuse in the Catholic Church / Scandal and coverup".
- Bruni, A Gospel of Shame (2002), p. 336
- Gilgoff, Dan. "Catholic Church's sex abuse scandal goes global". CNN. Retrieved 2017-12-20.