Clyde William Tombaugh
Tombaugh at his family's farm with his homemade telescope
|Born||February 4, 1906|
in a ranch near Streator, Illinois, U.S.
|Died||January 17, 1997 (aged 90)|
Las Cruces, New Mexico, U.S.
|Known for||Discovery of Pluto|
Tombaugh was born in Streator, Illinois. After his family moved to Burdett, Kansas, Tombaugh planned to attend college. After a hailstorm ruined his family's farm crops, he no longer had money for the expense of college.
- Tombaugh, Clyde; Patrick Moore (1980). Out of the Darkness: The Planet Pluto. Harrisburg, Pennsylvania: Stackpole Books. pp. 17. ISBN 978-0-8117-1163-0. "I was born on a farm near Streator, Illinois, on 4 February 1906."
- "Clyde Tombaugh: A Man of Universal Wonder". American Academy of Achievement. September 9, 2006. Retrieved April 25, 2010.
- Many biographical articles on Clyde Tombaugh
- Quote from Tombaugh on UFOs
- UFO activities of Tombaugh
- Academic paper on Tombaugh's UFO activities and near-earth satellite search
- Illinois proposes a Pluto Day and reinstate Pluto as a Planet in honor of C. Tombaugh: Illinois General Assembly, Senate Resolution SR0046 2/26/2009