computer input/output device; an electronic or electromechanical hardware device that is used for entering data into, and displaying data from, a computer or a computing system update programming
A computer terminal or data terminal is device usually made up of a display unit and a keyboard which allows entry and display of information when on-line to central computer system.
- intelligent terminal, smart terminal = a computer terminal which contains a CPU and memory, allowing basic data processing to be carried out, usually with the facility to allow the user to program it independently of the host computer.
- terminal adapter = a device that connects a computer to a digital communications line; e.g., to link a PC to an ISDN line. A terminal adapter transfers digital signals from the computer to the line, whereas a modem is used to connect a computer to an analog communications line, such as a telephone line, and needs to convert digital signals to and from an anologue form.
- terminal controller = a hardware device or IC which controls a terminal including data communications and display.
- terminal identity = a unique code transmitted by a view data terminal to provide identification and authorisation of a user.
- terminal interface = a hardware and software combination demand to control the function of a terminal from the computer.