David Eric "Dave" Grohl (born January 14, 1969) is an American rock musician and singer. He is best known as the lead singer, occasionally drummer, and guitarist of rock band Foo Fighters and the drummer of the grunge band Nirvana from 1990 to 1994. He has also been part of thirty different bands in his life, including one from the 1980s called Scream. Other bands he has played in include Nine Inch Nails and Tenacious D.
David Eric Grohl
January 14, 1969
Warren, Ohio, U.S.
Dave Grohl lived most of his early life in Springfield, Virginia. He played in many local punk bands, on guitar. By 15 years old he was a drummer in the hardcore punk band, Scream. Scream toured all over the United States and Europe but broke up in 1989. After they broke up he tried out to be a drummer in a small band called Nirvana.
Grohl joined Nirvana in 1990, along with Krist Novoselic and Kurt Cobain. They went on to be one of the most successful bands of the decade, selling over 50 million albums worldwide. Grohl joined shortly before the release of Nevermind. Nevermind proved to be a classic album, one that is still a big influence on the alternative metal and alternative rock scene. The band only recorded one more studio album though, In Utero in 1993. On April 8, 1994, Kurt Cobain's body was found at his home in Seattle. He had shot himself in the head with a shotgun. This event ended Nirvana and Grohl started his own band Foo Fighters in 1995.
The original Foo Fighters album was recorded entirely by Grohl himself. He recorded the parts for each instrument one at a time and then combined them. Foo Fighters are now a multi Grammy Award winning rock band and sell out huge arenas when they are on tour.
- ↑ Dave Grohl Band Discography of Awesomeness
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Dave Grohl Biography". Archived from the original on 2008-06-28. Retrieved 2008-09-08.
- ↑ "Nirvana breaks 50 million - Yahoo Music".
- ↑ "10 years later, Cobain's music lives on". Archived from the original on 2007-08-28. Retrieved 2008-09-08.
- ↑ "Kurt Cobain - a biography".[permanent dead link]
- ↑ "Foo Fighters - a bigoraphy". AllMusic. Archived from the original on 2001-04-22. Retrieved 2008-09-08.