Death metal is a style of heavy metal that is a very fast, brutal and energetic. It has very harsh singing. Most death metal has very fast guitar and drum beats. Almost every death metal drummer plays with two bass drums (or a type of pedal that has two beaters on one bass drum), so that they can play the bass drum beats faster. It is a music focused mainly on drums and guitars. The lyrics in death metal sometimes involve topics such as death, war and pain. Some bands choose to write about philosophy or religion. Some bands try to write about things that other death metal bands do not write about such as ancient history. Death metal vocalists usually grunt, growl or scream.
|Stylistic origins||Thrash metal, first wave black metal, hardcore punk|
|Cultural origins||Mid 1980s, United States (particularly Florida)|
|Typical instruments||Vocals, electric guitar, bass, drums,|
|Melodic death metal, technical death metal|
|Deathcore - blackened death metal - Death-doom - deathgrind - death 'n' roll|
|Florida, New York, Sweden, United Kingdom, Brazil, Netherlands, Japan, Poland|
Some artists and groups of this genre are:
Other types of death metalEdit
- Melodic death metal, sometimes called melodeath – is slower and features screams instead of growls. It also has much more melody and clean vocals can even sometimes be heard.
- Technical death metal, or progressive death metal – is a much more complex type of death metal. These songs usually are longer and have unique song structures. These bands pretty much combine progressive rock and jazz with death metal.
- Death-doom – combines the dark atmosphere and slow tempos with growling vocals and double-kick drumming.
- Goregrind, deathgrind and pornogrind – mixes the intensity of Grindcore with the complexity of death metal. Guitar solos are usually rare, and vocalists usually scream instead of growl. Also, the songs are usually shorter.
- Blackened death metal – is a style that combines death metal with black metal.
- Brown, Jonathon (September 6, 2007). "Everything you ever wanted to know about pop (but were too old to ask)". The Independent. London. Retrieved June 16, 2009.
- Henderson, Alex. "Devian: Ninewinged Serpent". AllMusic. Retrieved May 3, 2009.
- Bowar, Chad. "Hacavitz - Venganza". About.com. Retrieved May 3, 2009.
- Media related to Death metal music groups at Wikimedia Commons