Dennis Gabor  (/ /, GAH-bor, gə-BOR; Hungarian: Gábor Dénes [ˈɡaːbor ˈdeːnɛʃ]; 5 June 1900 – 9 February 1979) was a Hungarian-British electrical engineer and physicist, most notable for inventing holography, for which he later received the 1971 Nobel Prize in Physics.
5 June 1900
|Died||9 February 1979 (aged 78)|
|Citizenship||Hungarian / British|
Marjorie Louise Butler (m. 1936)(1911–1981)
|Fields||Electrical engineering Physics|
|Doctoral students||Eric Ash[source?]|
While working at British Thomson-Houston that he invented holography, in 1947.He experimented with a heavily filtered mercury arc light source. However, the earliest hologram was only realised in 1964 following the 1960 invention of the laser, the first coherent light source. After this, holography became commercially available.
During his time in Rugby, he met Marjorie Louise Butler, and they married in 1936. He became a British citizen in 1946.
- 1971 Nobel Prize in Physics
- Allibone, T. E. (1980). "Dennis Gabor. 5 June 1900 – 9 February 1979". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 26: 106. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1980.0004.
- "Gabor". The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language (5th ed.). Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Retrieved 26 July 2019.
- "Gabor". Collins English Dictionary. HarperCollins. Retrieved 26 July 2019.
- "Gabor, Dennis". Lexico UK Dictionary. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 26 July 2019.
- "Gabor". Merriam-Webster Dictionary. Retrieved 26 July 2019.
- Hubbard, Arthur T. (1995). The Handbook of Surface Imaging and Visualization. CRC Press, Inc. ISBN 0-8493-8911-9.
- Ash, Eric A. (1979). "Dennis Gabor, 1900–1979". Nature. 280 (5721): 431–433. Bibcode:1979Natur.280..431A. doi:10.1038/280431a0. PMID 379651.
- Gabor, Dennis (1944). The electron microscope : Its development, present performance and future possibilities. London.[ISBN missing]
- Gabor, Dennis (1963). Inventing the Future. London : Secker & Warburg.[ISBN missing]
- Gabor, Dennis (1970). Innovations: Scientific, Technological, and Social. London : Oxford University Press.[ISBN missing]
- Gabor, Dennis (1972). The Mature Society. A View of the Future. London : Secker & Warburg.[ISBN missing]
- Gabor, Dennis; and Colombo, Umberto (1978). Beyond the Age of Waste: A Report to the Club of Rome. Oxford : Pergamon Press.[ISBN missing]