DreamWorks Studios, officially called DW II Distribution Co., LLC, also known as DreamWorks, LLC, DreamWorks SKG, DreamWorks Studios or DW Studios, LLC, is an American movie studio. It has made or sold more than ten movies which made more than $100 million each at the box-office.
DreamWorks began in 1994. It was founded by Steven Spielberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg and David Geffen (making the SKG at the bottom of the DreamWorks logo). They own 72% of the company. In December 2005, the founders agreed to sell the studio to Viacom. The sale was done in February 2006. In 2008, DreamWorks announced that it would split from Paramount. It signed a $1.5 billion deal to make movies with India's Reliance ADA Group. Reliance gave $325M to help recreate DreamWorks studio as its own company. Clark Hallren led the Reliance team in making plans for the company. The movie studio is 50% owned by Reliance. Reliance is led by Anil Ambani.
The part of DreamWorks which makes animations was made into DreamWorks Animation SKG in 2004.
- Shrek (2001) (Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, and Cameron Diaz)
- The Peacemaker (1997) (George Clooney)
- The Prince of Egypt (1998) (Val Kilmer, Ralph Fiennes, and Michelle Pfeiffer)
- Antz (1998) (Woody Allen, Gene Hackman, and Sharon Stone)
- Chicken Run (2000) (Julia Sawalha, Mel Gibson, and Jane Horrocks)
- Cast Away (2000) (Tom Hanks)
- Catch Me If You Can (2002) (Leronardo DiCaprio, Tom Hanks, and Christopher Walken)
- Small Soldiers (1998) (Gregory Smith, Kirsten Dunst, and Kevin Dunn)
- Madagascar (2005) (Ben Stiller, Chris Rock, and David Schwimmer)
- Over the Hedge (2006) (Bruce Willis, Garry Shandling, and Steve Carell)
- Flushed Away (2006) (Hugh Jackman, Kate Winslet, and Shane Richie)
- Bee Movie (2007) (Jerry Seinfeld, Renée Zellweger, and Matthew Broderick)
- Kung Fu Panda (2008) (Jack Black, Dustin Hoffman, and Angelina Jolie)
- How to Train Your Dragon (2010) (Jay Baruchel, Gerard Butler, and Craig Ferguson)
- Monsters vs. Aliens (2009) (Reese Witherspoon, Seth Rogen, and Hugh Laurie)
- Puss in Boots (2011) (Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayek, and Zach Galifianakis)
- Megamind (2010) (Will Ferrell, Brad Pitt, and Tina Fey)
- Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (2002) (Matt Damon, James Cromwell, and Daniel Studi)
- The Ring (2002) (Martin Henderson)
- Amistad (1997) (Djimon Hounsou)
- Shark Tale (2004) (Will Smith, Robert De Niro, and Renée Zellweger)
- The Road to El Dorado (2000) (Kevin Kline, Kenneth Branagh, and Rosie Perez)
- Rise of the Guardians (2012) (Chris Pine, Alec Baldwin, and Jude Law)
- The Croods (2013) (Nicolas Cage, Emma Stone, and Ryan Reynolds)
- Turbo (2013) (Ryan Reynolds, Paul Giamatti, and Michael Peña)
- AFP: DreamWorks, India's Reliance Sign Major Deal, AFP, September 21, 2008
- Morgan, Richard (October 16, 2009). "Hollywood's enablers". The Deal Magazine. Retrieved April 22, 2010.
- McClintock, Pamela (August 17, 2009). "Reliance, DreamWorks close deal". Daily Variety. Retrieved April 22, 2010.
- Indian Tiger Eyes Wounded MGM Lion