Dumont, New Jersey
Dumont is a borough in Bergen County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, 17,479 people lived there. This is 24 less (-0.1%) than the 17,503 people in the 2000 Census. In the 1990 Census, 17,187 people lived there.
Dumont, New Jersey
|Borough of Dumont|
|Incorporated||July 20, 1891|
|Named for||Dumont Clarke|
|• Body||Borough Council|
|• Mayor||Andrew LaBruno (D, term ends December 31, 2023)|
|• Administrator||P. Christopher Tully|
|• Municipal clerk||Susan Connelly|
|• Total||1.95 sq mi (5.06 km2)|
|• Land||1.95 sq mi (5.05 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.01 km2) 0.15%|
|• Rank||415th of 565 in state|
50th of 70 in county
|Elevation||98 ft (30 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Rank||146th of 566 in state|
17th of 70 in county
|• Density||8,814.7/sq mi (3,403.4/km2)|
|• Rank||41st of 566 in state|
12th of 70 in county
|Time zone||UTC−05:00 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−04:00 (Eastern (EDT))|
|GNIS feature ID||0885197|
The borough was formed on July 20, 1891, as the Borough of Schraalenburgh. It was created from parts of Harrington Township and Palisades Township. This was done because of the results of a referendum held the day before. At this time, many boroughs were created in the county. 26 boroughs were formed in the county in 1894 alone. On March 7, 1898, portions of the borough were annexed to Palisades Township. On June 13, 1898, the borough's name was changed to Dumont . This was in honor of Dumont Clarke, the borough's first mayor.
- 2019 Census Gazetteer Files: New Jersey Places, United States Census Bureau. Accessed July 1, 2020.
- U.S. Gazetteer Files for 2000, 2010 and 2012-2016, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2017.
- Mayor & Council, Borough of Dumont. Accessed February 20, 2020.
- 2020 New Jersey Mayors Directory, New Jersey Department of Community Affairs. Accessed February 1, 2020.
- Borough Administrator's Office, Borough of Dumont. Accessed March 24, 2020.
- Borough Clerk, Borough of Dumont. Accessed March 24, 2020.
- 2012 New Jersey Legislative District Data Book, Rutgers University Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy, March 2013, p. 165.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Borough of Dumont, Geographic Names Information System. Accessed March 5, 2013.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 for Dumont borough, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed April 18, 2012.
- Municipalities Sorted by 2011-2020 Legislative District, New Jersey Department of State. Accessed February 1, 2020.
- Table DP-1. Profile of General Demographic Characteristics: 2010 for Dumont borough Archived 2012-04-02 at the Wayback Machine, New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development. Accessed April 18, 2012.
- QuickFacts for Dumont borough, New Jersey; Bergen County, New Jersey; New Jersey from Population estimates, July 1, 2019, (V2019), United States Census Bureau. Accessed May 21, 2020.
- GCT-PH1 Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - State -- County Subdivision from the 2010 Census Summary File 1 for New Jersey , United States Census Bureau. Accessed December 11, 2012.
- Look Up a ZIP Code for Dumont, NJ, United States Postal Service. Accessed August 28, 2011.
- ZIP Codes, State of New Jersey. Accessed September 2, 2013.
- Area Code Lookup - NPA NXX for Dumont, NJ, Area-Codes.com. Accessed September 2, 2013.
- U.S. Census website , United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- Geographic Codes Lookup for New Jersey, Missouri Census Data Center. Accessed September 13, 2017.
- US Board on Geographic Names, United States Geological Survey. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- Table 7. Population for the Counties and Municipalities in New Jersey: 1990, 2000 and 2010, New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development, February 2011. Accessed August 6, 2012.
- Snyder, John P. The Story of New Jersey's Civil Boundaries: 1606-1968, Bureau of Geology and Topography; Trenton, New Jersey; 1969. p. 76 re Dumont, p. 86 re Schraalenburgh. Accessed April 18, 2012.
- Harvey, Cornelius Burnham. Genealogical History of Hudson and Bergen Counties, New Jersey, p. 11, New Jersey Genealogical Publishing Company, 1900. Accessed September 2, 2013. "For a period of sixteen years following the passage of this act few boroughs were organized in the State, only three of them being in Bergen County.... As it was twenty-six boroughs were created in the county from January 23, 1894, to December 18, of the same year."
- Honeyman, Abraham Van Doren. Index-analysis of the Statutes of New Jersey, 1896-1909: Together with References to All Acts, and Parts of Acts, in the 'General Statutes' and Pamphlet Laws Expressly Repealed: and the Statutory Crimes of New Jersey During the Same Period, p. 255. New Jersey Law Journal Publishing Company, 1910. Accessed October 1, 2015.
- A Brief History of the Borough of Dumont, Borough of Dumont. Accessed September 13, 2017. "Incorporated as the Borough of Schraalenburgh in 1894, Dumont took its present name in 1898 from its first mayor, Dumont Clarke, who was president of the American Exchange Bank and had made his home in the borough since the 1870s."
- History of Bergen County Vol. 1, p. 348.
- Hutchinson, Viola L. The Origin of New Jersey Place Names, New Jersey Public Library Commission, May 1945. Accessed August 29, 2015.