American video streaming service

Funimation Productions, LLC was an American entertainment company. It was well known for dubbing and releasing content made outside the United States, especially with anime. Sony owned 95% of the company. This ownership was shared between Sony Pictures and Sony Music Entertainment Japan. The other 5% is owned by Gen Fukunaga, who was one of Funimation's founders. The company was based in Flower Mound, Texas. It was one of the most important companies in North America that released anime and other foreign entertainment.

Funimation Productions, LLC
FormerlyFUNimation Productions (1994–2005)
FUNimation Entertainment (2005–2011)
Company typeSubsidiary
Founded9 May 1994; 30 years ago (1994-05-09)[1]
FounderGen Fukunaga
Cindy Fukunaga
Area served
Key people
Gen Fukunaga (founder & chairman)
Colin Decker (general manager)
ProductsAnime, motion pictures, Japanese/Asian cinema
OwnerSony (95%, Sony Pictures Entertainment and Sony Music Entertainment Japan joint ownership)
Gen Fukunaga (5%)
ParentSony Pictures Television (2017–2024)
Aniplex (2019–2024)
DivisionsFunimation Films[2]
Madman Anime Group
Manga Entertainment UK
Footnotes / references
merged with Crunchyroll in 2022 but continued as a website until April 2024

The company was created on 9 May 1994 by Gen Fukunaga and his wife, Cindy. The original name of the company during this time was FUNimation Productions. Later, in 2005, Navarre Corporation bought the company. It was also renamed FUNimation Entertainment. In 2011, Funimation was sold to a group of investors by Navarre.[3]

In 2022, it merged with Crunchyroll.


  1. "Celebrating 20 years of the best in anime". Funimation. Archived from the original on 20 August 2014. Retrieved 2 April 2020. {{cite web}}: |archive-date= / |archive-url= timestamp mismatch; 19 May 2014 suggested (help)
  2. "About US". Funimation Films. Archived from the original on 12 December 2016. Retrieved 2 April 2020.
  3. Loo, Egan (4 April 2011). "Navarre Sells Funimation to Group with Gen Fukunaga". AnimeNewsNetwork. Retrieved 2 April 2020.

Other websites