This article needs to be updated.
General Hospital (commonly abbreviated GH) is the longest-running ABC Daytime American soap opera broadcast on the American Broadcasting Company television network. It is also the longest-running serial produced in Hollywood (having been taped at the Prospect Avenue ABC Television Center West and Sunset-Gower Studios).
Set in the fictional city of Port Charles, New York, General Hospital debuted on April 1, 1963, the same day that rival network NBC launched its own medical daytime drama, The Doctors. The show originally aired for a half-hour until the network expanded it to the unusual length of 45 minutes in 1976, and then to a full hour in 1978. The serial was created by soap writers Frank and Doris Hursley, a husband-and-wife team.
General Hospital is credited for starting several trends in the soap opera genre in the 1980s, most notably that of the fast-paced action-adventure plotlines that were remarkably different from the more traditional domestic and social issues that had been the sole focus of most soap operas during the previous decades. In 2003, when GH was celebrating its 40th anniversary, TV Guide named it "The Greatest Soap Opera Of All Time." In addition, GH was also named as one of TIME Magazine's "Top 100 Television Shows of All Time."
Current cast membersEdit
Upcoming cast changesEdit
Debuting and returningEdit
|Samantha Logan||Taylor DuBois||June 4|||
- "Ins&Outs". New Nurse Ready to Play Doctor!. Soaps In Depth. October 1, 2012. p. 10.
- Fairman, Michael (January 16, 2013). "GH EP Frank Valentini On Genie Francis' Return: 'It's not a guest appearance. We've hired her, we've absolutely hired her!'". On-Air On-Soaps. michaelfairmansoaps.com. Archived from the original on February 10, 2013. Retrieved February 19, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Lewis, Errol (November 20, 2012). "Marc Samuel Joins 'General Hospital' as New Contract Player". Soap Opera Network. Retrieved November 20, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Newcbomb, Roger (December 5, 2012). "GENERAL HOSPITAL's New Gay Character: Felix Dubois". We Love Soaps. Retrieved December 7, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Kelly Thiebaud Put on Contract as General Hospital's Bitchy Britt!". daytimeconfidential.com. Archived from the original on March 28, 2014. Retrieved April 9, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Students Working". matthewbarryteaches.com. Archived from the original on May 15, 2013. Retrieved April 9, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Character Monica Quartermaine Biography". General Hospital. ABC Daytime. Archived from the original on September 19, 2012. Retrieved September 19, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Saidah Arrika Ekulona". Saidah Arrika Ekulona Official Website. www.mssaidah.com. Archived from the original on October 29, 2012. Retrieved October 1, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Diane Returns to GH!". Soap Opera Digest. soapoperadigest.com. Retrieved September 20, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "GH's Felix Gets A Sister". Soap Opera Digest. American Media, Inc. May 15, 2013. Retrieved May 15, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)