Grumpy Old Men
Grumpy Old Men is a 1993 romantic comedy movie. It is about two old men who lead boring, ordinary lives in Wabasha, Minnesota. This was the sixth movie starring both Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. It was also their first movie together since 1981's Buddy Buddy. Lemon and Matthau are one of the screen's great comedy teams.
Lemon and Matthau play neighbors who have been feuding since their childhood. The rivalry started over a high school sweetheart. The two lead similar boring and lonely single lives. They both love the Minnesota winter pastime of ice fishing. They also love competing, arguing, insulting, and pulling cruel practical jokes on each other whenever possible. Then an eccentric artist moves into the neighborhood. She is played by Ann-Margaret. Both men try to capture her attention.
- Jack Lemmon as John Gustafson Jr.
- Walter Matthau as Max Goldman
- Ann-Margret as Ariel Truax
- Burgess Meredith as John Gustafson Sr.
- Daryl Hannah as Melanie Gustafson
- Kevin Pollak as Jacob Goldman
- Ossie Davis as Chuck (Bait Shop Owner)
- Buck Henry as Elliott Snyder (IRS Agent)
- Christopher McDonald as Mike
Grumpy Old Men was one of the biggest surprise hits of the year at the time of its release. The movie opened on December 25, 1993. It had a weekend gross of $3,874,911. However, its numbers gradually became stronger. It earned a domestic total of $70 million. It got mixed to positive reviews from critics. Roger Ebert said "Matthau and Lemmon are fun to see together." The movie is rated PG-13 for adult themes.
- David Bleiler, TLA Film, Video, and DVD Guide 2002-2003: The Discerning Film Lover's Guide (New York: St. Martin's Griffin, 2001), p. 248
- Caryn James. "Grumpy Old Men (1993)". The New York Times. Retrieved 30 May 2015.
- "Not Grumpy or Old". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved June 1, 2012.
- "Weekend Box Office : 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Still Cleaning Up". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved June 1, 2012.
- "Grumpy Old Men". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved May 28, 2015.
- "Grumpy Old Men". Roger Ebert. Retrieved May 28, 2015.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Grumpy Old Men (film)|
- Grumpy Old Men on IMDb
- Grumpy Old Men at the TCM Movie Database
- Grumpy Old Men at AllMovie
- Grumpy Old Men at Rotten Tomatoes