Anthem of the U.S. state of Minnesota
"Hail! Minnesota" (also simply called "Minnesota" in early years) is the state song of Minnesota. It began at the University of Minnesota in the early 1900s when some students decided to honor their graduating class with a new song. In 1945, the Minnesota State Legislature approved the tune as the state song.
- Minnesota, Hail to Thee!
- Hail to Thee, our state so dear,
- Thy light shall ever be
- A beacon bright and clear.
- Thy sons and daughters true
- Will proclaim Thee near and far.
- They shall guard thy fame and adore thy name;
- Thou shalt be their Northern Star!
- Like the stream that bends to sea,
- Like the pine that seeks the blue;
- Minnesota, still for Thee
- Thy sons are strong and true!
- From thy woods and waters fair,
- From thy prairies waving far.
- At thy call they throng with a shout and song;
- Hailing Thee their Northern Star!
- University of Minnesota Band Alumni Society (1992). Minnesota, Hats Off To Thee. Taylor Publishing Company. pp. 191–192. ISBN 0-9629747-0-6.
- "Hail! Minnesota". Regents of the University of Minnesota. 2005-05-05. Retrieved 2006-09-09.
- Minnesota Secretary of State Archived 2010-07-25 at the Wayback Machine with sheet music and recording.