Hard Boiled is a 1992 action crime thriller movie from Hong Kong. John Woo is the thriller's director. The movie stars Chow Yun-fat as Inspector "Tequila" Yuen, Tony Leung Chiu-Wai as Tony, an undercover cop, and Anthony Wong as Johnny Wong, a leader of criminal triads. Hard Boiled received mixed to positive reviews from the critics.
|Directed by||John Woo|
|Written by||John Woo|
|Produced by||Terence Chang|
Tony Leung Chiu-Wai
Anthony Wong Chau Sang
|Edited by||John Woo|
|Music by||Michael Gibbs|
|Distributed by||Golden Princess Film Production Limited (Hong Kong)|
|Box office||HK $19,711,048|
Hard Boiled took 123 days to shoot.
After release change
Hard Boiled was released on April 16, 1992 in Hong Kong. The film grossed HK$19,711,048, which was not as strong as Woo's previous action films A Better Tomorrow or The Killer. At the 12th Hong Kong Film Awards, David Wu and John Woo won the award for "Best Film Editing". Tony Leung was nominated for "Best Supporting Male Actor", but lost the award to Liu Kai-Chi in Cageman. The North American premiere of Hard Boiled was in September 1992 at the Toronto International Film Festival. At the premiere the audience response was very positive with people stomping their feet and yelling at the screen. This reception surprised producer Terence Chang who did not expect such a positive reaction. Hard Boiled received wide release in the United Kingdom on October 8, 1993.
- Elder, 2005, pg. 117
- "Hard Boiled (1992)". Hong Kong Movie Database. Retrieved 21 August 2009.
- Woo, John (2007). A Baptism Of Fire: An Interview With Director John Woo (DVD). Santa Monica, California, United States: Dragon Dynasty.
- Heard, 1999. p.98
- "Hong Kong Film Archive". Retrieved December 8, 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "第十二屆香港電影金像獎得獎名單" [Twelfth Hong Kong Film Awards Winners]. Hong Kong Film Awards (in Chinese). Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 9 August 2009.
- Heard, 1999. p.105
- Chang, Terence (2007). Partner in Crime: An Interview With Producer Terence Chang (DVD). Santa Monica, California, United States: Dragon Dynasty.
- Jackson, Kevin (October 7, 1993). "The drop-dead director: John Woo makes movies with guts, and buckets of blood. Kevin Jackson talks to him. Plus Jeremy Clarke on Chow Yun-Fat, Woo's favourite leading hard-man". The Independent. Retrieved May 28, 2010.