Heartburn is an uncomfortable feeling in the chest that happens when acids from the stomach travel up the esophagus (the tube leading from the mouth to the stomach). When stomach acids hurt the lining of the esophagus, the feeling is a symptom.
- PubMed Health, "Gastroesophageal reflux disease ... GERD," August 11, 2011; retrieved 2012-1-27.
- WebMD, "Heartburn and Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)"; retrieved 2012-1-27.
- Mayo Clinic, Antacid (Oral Route); retrieved 2012-1-27.
- "Heartburn: causes, symptoms and treatment tips".
- MedicineNet, GERD
- National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC), GERD Archived 2012-04-11 at the Wayback Machine
- MedlinePlus, GERD