Gastroesophageal reflux disease
disease caused by stomach acid coming up from the stomach into the esophagus
The problem exists when stomach contents move backwards towards the mouth. Food or liquid moves from the stomach into the tube between the mouth and the stomach. That tube is called the oesophagus.
- GERD is an acronym for "GastroEsophageal Reflux Disease."
- GERD is also called "Gastro-Oesophageal Reflux Disease (GORD) or "gastric reflux disease" or "acid reflux disease". GERD and GORD are different spelling acronyms for the same thing.
- PubMed Health, "Gastroesophageal reflux disease ... GERD," August 11, 2011; retrieved 2012-1-26.
- WebMD, "Heartburn and Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)"; retrieved 2012-1-27.
- MedicineNet, GERD
- National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC), GERD Archived 2012-04-11 at the Wayback Machine
- MedlinePlus, GERD