Help:Translate English into Simple English
This page gives tips on how to translate English into Simple English. This is not a complete guide. Please expand and improve as well if you see any mistakes or if you have any other more sensible suggestions.
A word in English will be shown and next to it will be the Simple English version. This is in alphabetical order.
- abandon - give up, leave a person or object behind
- arduous - very difficult
- continuous - not ending, going on
- contradict - to go against
- depict - to show
- expand - to become large / to make large
- individual - person (when it means a person: the word individual has other meanings)
- justified - lawful, right
- luminescent - giving light
- obtained - got
- odd - strange
- originate - come from
- performed - did
- specific - special
- taken aback - surprised and perhaps shocked
- transfer - move to or change to
- translate - to turn one language into another language or link to Translation
- various - many
- film - movie
- American (United States) - Should be linked to a more specific term, such as United States or Americans because American has other meanings. See the disambiguation page American for other meanings. To use the word American but link to a more specific meaning, use a piped link like this:
Most often these changes are because the term can mean different things. It is better to use terms with only one meaning, or the fewest meanings if no term exists with only one. The terms should be linked the first time they are used in an article.