Hilary Bradt in 2006
|Born||17 July 1941|
|Occupation||Author and publisher|
|Period||1974 to now|
|Subject||Madagascar, Peru, Devon|
|Notable awards||MBE for services to the tourist industry and to charity, 2008|
British Guild of Travel Writers' Lifetime Achievement Award, 2009
From 1972, Bradt spent 18 months in South America with her husband, and later they set up Bradt Travel Guides together. Their first book was Backpacking along Ancient Ways in Peru and Bolivia. The award-winning Bradt guides have always covered unusual destinations that do not attract large numbers of tourists. The company is based in Chalfont St Peter, England.
After running the company for 35 years, Bradt retired in 2007, but she is still chairman. She also still writes about travel, including a guide book to Devon and articles in travel magazines.
Bradt worked for many years as a tour leader, particularly in Madagascar, a country that she has written many books about. Bradt is a member of the British Guild of Travel Writers and she received their Lifetime Achievement Award in November 2009.
She was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the 2008 Queen's Birthday Honours for services to the tourist industry and to charity. Bradt's charity work includes being patron of Money for Madagascar, which has been raising funds for projects in Madagascar since 1986.
- Bradt, Hilary; Bradt, George (1974). Backpacking along Ancient Ways in Peru and Bolivia (1st ed.).
- "Awards". Bradt Travel Guides. Retrieved 5 August 2010.
- Bradt, Hilary (2010). Slow Devon & Exmoor (1st ed.). Bradt Travel Guides. ISBN 9781841623221.
- Bradt, Hilary (2011). Madagascar (10th ed.). Bradt Travel Guides. ISBN 9781841623412.
- Garbutt, Nick; Bradt, Hilary; Schuurman, Derek (2008). Austin, Daniel (ed.). Madagascar Wildlife: A visitor's guide (3rd ed.). Bradt Travel Guides. ISBN 9781841622453.
- Austin, Daniel; Bradt, Hilary (2012). Madagascar Highlights (1st ed.). Bradt Travel Guides. ISBN 9781841624259.
- Bradt, Hilary (1993). Madagascar. World Bibliographical Series. 165 (1st ed.). Clio Press. ISBN 9781851091799.
- Bradt, Hilary (1988). Madagascar: Exotic Lands (1st ed.). Aston Publications. ISBN 9780946627288.
- Bokach, Matthew; Bradt, Hilary; Briggs, Philip; McIntyre, Chris; Slater, Mike (2000). Africa & Madagascar: Total Eclipse 2001 & 2002 (1st ed.). Bradt Travel Guides. ISBN 9781841620152.
- "No. 58729". The London Gazette (Supplement). 14 June 2008.
- "Money For Madagascar". Retrieved 5 August 2010.