Population statistics change
The Hutu are the largest of the three ethnic groups in Burundi and Rwanda. The United States Central Intelligence Agency says 84% of Rwandans and 85% of Burundians are Hutu. Other sources have found different statistics. The division between the Hutu and the Tutsi (the larger of the other two groups) is mainly based on social class, not ethnicity. There are no differences in language, culture or appearance between them.
- CIA World Factbook writers. "Rwanda: People". CIA World Factbook. Archived from the original on 2018-12-24. Retrieved 2006-10-31.
- CIA World Factbook writers. "Burundi: People". CIA World Factbook. Archived from the original on 2020-05-27. Retrieved 2006-10-31.
- "Rwanda". Retrieved 2006-10-31.
- Encyclopædia Britannica writers. "Twa". Encyclopædia Britannica. Retrieved 2006-11-01.
- "The Meaning of "Hutu," "Tutsi," and "Twa"". Human Rights Watch. 1999. Retrieved 2006-10-31.