Jagmeet Singh (born January 2, 1979) is a Canadian politician and lawyer. He is the leader of the New Democratic Party of Canada right now. He became the leader in 2017. He used to be a Member of Provincial Parliament (MPP) in the Legislative Assembly of Ontario from 2011 to 2017. He represented the electoral district of Bramalea—Gore—Malton.
Singh in 2018
|Leader of the New Democratic Party|
|Assumed office |
October 1, 2017
|Preceded by||Tom Mulcair|
|Member of the Canadian Parliament|
for Burnaby South
|Assumed office |
March 17, 2019
|Preceded by||Kennedy Stewart|
|Deputy Leader of the Ontario New Democratic Party|
April 20, 2015 – May 16, 2017
|Preceded by||Marilyn Churley|
|Succeeded by||Sara Singh|
|Member of the Ontario Provincial Parliament|
October 6, 2011 – October 20, 2017
|Preceded by||Kuldip Kular|
|Succeeded by||Riding dissolved|
Jagmeet Singh Jimmy Dhaliwal
January 2, 1979
Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
|Political party||New Democratic|
|Ontario New Democratic|
Gurkiran Kaur Sidhu (m. 2018)
|Relatives||Gurratan Singh (brother)|
|Residence||Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada|
|Alma mater||University of Western Ontario (BSc)|
York University (LLB)
Jagmeet Singh was born on January 2, 1979 in Scarborough, Ontario, to Harmeet Kaur and Jagtaran Singh. He started his career as a criminal defense lawyer. In 2015, he became the Deputy Leader of the Ontario New Democrats under Andrea Horwath until 2017.
Singh announced he would run for leadership of the federal New Democratic Party of Canada to replace Tom Mulcair which he won. He did not have a seat in the House of Commons until March 2019. This was when he won a seat in Burnaby South, British Columbia in a by-election.
- "NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh campaigns in Montreal ahead of tough byelection fight". Cbc.ca. Retrieved February 26, 2019.
- "Riding results from across Canada". Edmonton Journal. May 3, 2011. p. A6. Missing or empty
- Austen, Ian (October 1, 2017). "Sikh Becomes Canada's First Nonwhite Political Party Leader". The New York Times. Retrieved 17 July 2019.
- Ghoussoub, Michelle (February 25, 2019). "NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh wins federal seat in high-stakes Burnaby South byelection". CBC News. Retrieved April 25, 2019.
- "Ontario politician Jagmeet Singh launches bid for federal NDP leadership". The Globe and Mail. May 15, 2017. Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- "NDP leadership hopeful Jagmeet Singh pledges to support homeless LGBT youth". Xtra. August 25, 2017. Retrieved September 12, 2017.