Joseph Kabila Kabange (known commonly as Joseph Kabila, born June 4, 1971) is a Congolese politician. He became President of the Democratic Republic of the Congo in January 2001. He took office ten days after the assassination of his father, President Laurent-Désiré Kabila. He was elected as President in 2006. In 2011, he was re-elected for a second term.
Kabila visiting the Pentagon in November 2003.
|President of the Democratic Republic of the Congo|
17 January 2001 – 25 January 2019
|Prime Minister||Antoine Gizenga|
Louis Alphonse Koyagialo (Acting)
Augustin Matata Ponyo
|Preceded by||Laurent-Désiré Kabila|
|Succeeded by||Félix Tshisekedi|
Joseph Kabila Kabange
4 June 1971
|Political party||People's Party for Reconstruction and Democracy|
|Spouse(s)||Olive Lembe di Sita|
|Alma mater||Makerere University|
People's Liberation Army National Defense University
Forbes writer Richard Miniter documented the wealth of Joseph Kabila, estimated at US $15 billion in offshore banks in the British Virgin Islands, accumulated in just over 13 years of being in power.
After widespread speculation surrounding his continued stay in office, it was feared Kabila would seek re-election for a third term in the 2018 election. But he announced in August 2018, that he will not stand.
- "CIA World Leaders, Democratic Republic of the Congo".
- Richard Miniter: Obama’s Secret Neo-Con Agenda, Forbes, July 1, 2014
- https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/08/drc-kabila-stand-election-spokesman-180808130105604.html | DR Congo's Kabila will not stand for re-election: spokesman
- https://www.reuters.com/article/us-congo-politics/congos-kabila-to-step-down-ahead-of-presidential-election-idUSKBN1KT1L4 | Congo's Kabila will not stand for election in December | Article [AMP] | Reuters
Media related to Joseph Kabila at Wikimedia Commons
- Joseph Kabila, The Untold Story
- Rape in the DRC
- BBC Country Profile
- Official website of the President of the DRC
- Joseph Kabila 2011 campaign site
- Democratic Republic of the Congo – Permanent Mission to the United Nations
- DR Congo presidential candidates face off in second round Jane's Intelligence Watch Report, 22 August 2006
- For Congo's Leader, Middling Reviews by Jeffrey Gettleman, The New York Times, April 4, 2009