female given name
Katherine is a female name that is very popular in multiple countries, and especially so in Christian countries. It is of Greek origin and means "pure" or "clear." The pronunciation of the name is [ kath-er-in, kath-rin ]. The name and its related variants have ranked on the 100 most popular girls names in the United States since around 1880. There are many celebrities with the name itself and its variants. Its variants Kate, Katrina and Karen have been used on Atlantic tropical cyclones. This name was ranked #158 on the US Popular Names in 2021.
- Katherine Johnson , African-American mathematician
- Katherine Dunham , American dancer, choreographer, songwriter, actress and activist
- Katharine Hepburn, American actress (1907–2003)
- Katherine Maher, former chief executive officer and executive director of the Wikimedia Foundation
- Katherine Milhous, American Quaker artist and writer
- Katharine McPhee, American recording artist; singer and songwriter
- ↑ "Katherine name Meaning and Origin". babys.name. Retrieved 2023-03-23.
- ↑ "Definition of Katherine | Dictionary.com". www.dictionary.com. Retrieved 2023-03-23.
- ↑ OACT. "Popular Baby Names". www.ssa.gov. Retrieved 2023-03-23.