Offices of the World Company, owner of the Lawrence Journal-World
|Founded||March 2, 1892 (with heritage dating to 1858) [a]|
|Headquarters||1035 N 3rd Street,|
Lawrence, KS 66044
The Journal-World name started in 1911. The paper says it goes back to 1858.
In 1891, Wilford Collins Simons moved to Lawrence. He took over the Lawrence Record newspaper in a three-month lease. The Lawrence World was first issued by Simons on March 2, 1892.
In 1905, the World bought the Lawrence Journal. They merged the Journal and World in 1911 after a fire destroyed the offices of the Journal. The name Lawrence Daily Journal dates back to 1880. However, that name just continued the name Republican Daily Journal. The name Republican Daily Journal dates back to at least 1869. The Republican Daily Journal seems to have been the successor through a sale and/or consolidation of earlier Lawrence newspapers. One of those papers dated to 1858. For years, the Journal-World said it started in 1858.
Wilford Collins Simons was editor from 1891 until his death in 1952.
In October 2010, the World Company, which owns the Lawrence Journal-World, sold some of its news media business. They sold it to Knology for $165 million. Knology is an Internet and cable company.
On May 1, 2019, the Journal-World's offices moved from the historic post office building on 7th and New Hampshire streets building to an office in North Lawrence. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas moved into the old building.
- Newspaper gives 1858 founding however the Journal-World began publishing in 1911 after the Lawrence Journal (1880) and Lawrence World (1892) merged.
- "Lawrence Journal-World: About us". Retrieved 2007-04-27.
- (13 December 1991). A 100-Year Newspaper Tradition, Lawrence Journal-World
- (20 Feb 1911). "Journal-World, The Combination"
- "First Biennial Report of the State Board of Agriculture". 1878. pp. 107–108.
- "Rowell's American Newspaper Directory". 1887. p. 255.
- (16 May 1952). Wilford C. Simons, The New York Times (noting death of Simons on May 15, 1952)
- Fagan, Mark. "Reporter". The Lawrence Journal-World.
- Chad Lawhorn (April 1, 2019). "Journal-World offices to move; driver's license office to move, expand next week". Lawrence Journal-World. Archived from the original on May 29, 2019. Retrieved May 29, 2019.
- Chad Lawhorn (April 24, 2019). "Journal-World phone lines to be temporarily impacted by office space move". Lawrence Journal-World. Archived from the original on May 29, 2019. Retrieved May 29, 2019.